I often get e-mails with questions from other photographers, so I’ve posted some of the more frequently asked questions here:
What Equipment do you shoot with. What Equipment would you recommend to a photographer just starting out.
What’s MOST important?? The glass (lens). Invest MORE in your lenses than in your camera body. It is a good idea to get a zoom lens that goes down to f/2.8. Always get your equipment from a reputable dealer. I use B & H photo. Learn from my mistakes! – DON’T buy from ebay or used….UNLESS you KNOW the person you are buying from and trust them.
Here is a list of my equipment ;
- 70-200mm 2.8 VR (I shoot with this lens about 60-70% of the time.)
- 50mm 1.4 (great lens for portraits and shallow depth of field)
- 85mm 1.8 (used mostly for details, outdoor portraits)
- 17-50mm 2.8 (larger group shots, back up wide angle)
- 18-200mm 3.5 VR (versatile as all get out for outdoors or in studio)
- 16-85mm 3.5 VR (only used in studio where I control lighting)
- 10.5mm fisheye (just for fun!)
- Nikon SB900 Speedlights
- Lowell i-light video light (used for ring shots and soft portrait light at night)
- LOTS of Camera Batteries
- LOTS of Lexar cf Cards
- Pocket Wizards
- Several Alien Bees Flash Units and Paul C Buff Soft Boxes
- Vagabond Mini Lithium Portable Power (LOVE!)
- Sekonic Light Meter (not sure how ANY photography enthusiast could live without one)
- Manfrotto Tripod
What actions do you use to post process your images. I use Lightroom to organize and catalog my images and Photoshop CS5 for most editing. I mostly use a combination of the Florabella actions - Totally Rad Actions and OnOne Software, along with other actions I’ve created. I never really do the same exact thing to an image, and I usually never use an action to its full strength.
Do you offer mentoring sessions? At this time, we do offer one on one personal mentoring sessions where we discuss all aspects of running a photography business, including photography and editing skills, Half day and full day sessions include a sample photo shoot with a couple and all shoots include notes and sample business forms. Please contact us for more information on pricing and what is included in a half or full day session.